On the eve of the EU referendum, some thoughts:
- In 2012, the EU was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for promoting peace + protecting human rights
- Voting out is not a protest vote against big business. It’s a whimsical vote against future generations
- If the economy tanks, as experts predict, it will be the poor + vulnerable who will suffer
- We are part of Europe and part of humanity
- The EU is run by politicians we elect. And they appoint officials. Because bureaucracy is good for civilisation
- David Beckham says we are stronger in. So do Billy Bragg + Paloma Faith. And John Barnes, who was so angry about being misrepresented by Michael Gove that he phoned national newspapers and wrote this stirring piece on immigration and racism for the Guardian
- Vote Leave have Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage + Michael Gove.
#Remain have @CarolineLucas @sarahwollaston @SadiqKhan #10Reasons #StrongerIn
- Leaving the EU would cause havoc to the NHS. We would lose vital staff + face massive cuts because of recession
- Not all who vote Leave are racists. But all racists are voting Leave, according to
@billybragg. And I agree #10Reasons #StrongerIn
- The British public are fighters. We are not quitters. We must stay in + fight to make the EU even better
One final thought. Things have been said that are hurtful, even threatening. People have been told they are stupid, that they don’t know what they are doing. One politician has lost her life. Millions have been made to feel unwanted and unwelcome. Whatever the result on Friday, a great deal of damage has been done. It will take a long time, kindness,, compassion and forgiveness to enable us all to heal.
So let us have no triumphalism. No crowing. And no blame. And let us remember that the majority of public servants are good hardworking people. They do not gamble our pensions, live offshore in tax havens, or pay their staff below the living wage. This includes the politicians who are elected by us, the people, to make decisions on our behalves.
We live in a democracy. And that is a wonderful thing.